Attorney | Minneapolis
David joined Meyer Njus Tanick in 2016 after beginning his career at a large national law firm. He enjoys a diverse practice, splitting his time between civil litigation and business & transactional matters. In any matter, David keeps the big picture in view and strives to obtain creative solutions in an economical fashion for the firm’s individual and business clients.
As a general business lawyer, David assists clients in a variety of different practice areas including entity formation and conversion, trademark registration and prosecution, trade secret protection, real estate acquisition and commercial leasing, employment counseling and litigation, and mergers and acquisitions. His recent business and transactional matters include the following:
- Represented multi-state retailer in $25 million asset sale.
- Assisted real estate developer in the acquisition of two contiguous parcels for $3.5 million.
- Drafted a special counsel opinion letter on behalf of a corporation’s board of directors regarding a former director’s entitlement to advancement of fees and expenses in litigation regarding the former director’s role in a contested $12 million asset sale.
- Represented a preferred provider organization in a $4 million stock purchase by an insurance company.
- Represented an entertainment services company in a $5 million asset sale.
As a litigator, David represents clients in federal and state court, before administrative agencies, and on appeal. Throughout litigation, he maintains an open line of communication with clients and continually assesses the best avenue for obtaining optimal results.
Recently, David has obtained the following results:
- Obtained early dismissal of complaint alleging fraud, unjust enrichment and other claims on behalf of former business owner defendant.
- Negotiated nuisance value settlement at early stages of litigation on behalf of Minneapolis hotel client in wrongful termination employment case.
- Successfully argued for reversal of conviction on behalf of pro bono client before Minnesota Court of Appeals on grounds that prosecutor’s misconduct at trial denied defendant constitutional right to fair trial. State of Minnesota v. Donald Charles Ancke, 2018 WL 2470675 (Minn. Ct. App. June 4, 2018).
- In defense of ADA public accommodation claim, negotiated nuisance value settlement from earlier $500k demand early in litigation on behalf of Twin Cities shopping center after uncovering valuable impeachment evidence to use against plaintiff.
David is also active in the community: he serves as a pro bono appellate public defender through the Minnesota Appellate Public Defender’s Office, representing indigent clients in the state appellate courts as they seek to overturn their convictions. For his pro bono work, he has been recognized as a Minnesota “North Star Lawyer” multiple times, a designation recognizing private practice attorneys’ commitments to pro bono service. Additionally, David volunteers with Achieve Minneapolis as a “Graduation Coach”, mentoring Minneapolis Public School high school students who are striving to remain on track to graduate.
In his spare time, David enjoys being active. You can catch him on running trails, at the hockey rink, or hiking with his giant dog, Oscar. Also an avid traveler and adventurer, David has visited over fifteen countries across five continents, reached the peak of two 19,000 foot mountains, lived with indigenous peoples in the Amazonian rain forest, and bicycled across the United States from coastal Maine to Seattle.
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – 2018
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer – 2015, 2017
Professional and Civic Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Real Property Law Section Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- AchieveMPLS Graduation Coach at Minneapolis Public Schools