Attorney | Minneapolis
David enjoys a diverse practice, splitting his time between civil litigation and business & transactional matters, particularly focused on commercial real estate, business law, and employment law. In any matter, David keeps the big picture in view and strives to obtain creative solutions in an economical fashion for his clients.
As a general business lawyer, David assists clients in a variety of different practice areas including entity formation and conversion; trademark registration and prosecution; trade secret protection; real estate acquisition, development, and commercial leasing; employment counseling and litigation; and mergers and acquisitions. His recent business and transactional matters include the following:
- Represented multi-state retailer in $25 million asset sale.
- Assisted real estate developer in the acquisition of two contiguous parcels for $3.5 million.
- Guided sale of commercial office building in south Minneapolis for $3 million.
- Assisted developer in acquisition of downtown Minneapolis real estate for future mixed-use development.
- Represented an entertainment services company in a $5 million asset sale.
As a litigator, David represents clients in federal and state court, before administrative agencies, and on appeal. Throughout litigation, he maintains an open line of communication with clients and continually assesses the best avenue for obtaining optimal results.
Recently, David has obtained the following results:
- Secured early dismissal of complaint alleging fraud, unjust enrichment and other claims on behalf of former business-owner defendant.
- Negotiated nuisance value settlement at early stages of litigation on behalf of Minneapolis hotel in wrongful termination employment case.
- Obtained reversal of conviction on behalf of pro bono client before Minnesota Court of Appeals on grounds of prosecutorial misconduct. State of Minnesota v. Donald Charles Ancke, 2018 WL 2470675 (Minn. Ct. App. June 4, 2018).
- Successfully defended Minneapolis shopping center against claims of public accommodation violations under the ADA.
David is also active in the community: he serves as a pro bono appellate public defender through the Minnesota Appellate Public Defender’s Office, representing indigent clients in the state appellate courts as they seek to overturn their convictions. For his pro bono work, he has been recognized as a Minnesota “North Star Lawyer” multiple times, a designation recognizing private practice attorneys’ commitments to pro bono service. Additionally, David serves as a “Graduation Coach”, mentoring students at Patrick Henry High School in Minneapolis.
In his spare time, David enjoys being active. You can catch him on running trails, at the hockey rink, or hiking with his giant dog, Oscar. Also an avid traveler and adventurer, David has lived with indigenous peoples in the Amazon and bicycled across the United States from coastal Maine to Seattle.
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – 2018, 2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer – 2015, 2017, 2018
Professional and Civic Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Real Property Law Section Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Graduation Coach at Minneapolis Public Schools
- Kingfield Neighborhood Association Board Member