Shareholder | Minneapolis
For 35 years, Marshall H. Tanick has represented clients in a wide variety of legal matters, with emphasis on employment law; constitutional law, including defamation, privacy, and other communications; education law; animal law; pet law; land law; and business disputes.
As much a student of law as a practitioner of it, Marshall stays abreast of legal trends and the latest case law by teaching at area law schools, conducting continuing legal education classes, and writing extensively for law and business publications. He also welcomes the opportunity to take on difficult cases. “I’m very interested in legal issues,” says Marshall. “I see them both as personal challenges and opportunities that can lead to modifications or improvements in law, often to make it more accessible and affordable.”
Regardless of precedent-setting potential, Marshall brings to each case a strong work ethic, a commitment to accessibility, and a talent for identifying and explaining strategic options. Clients also benefit from a breadth of experience that helps him understand their legal problems – and turn them into solutions.
Honors & Awards
- Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association for more than 20 years, since inception of the Certified Program.
- Named to Minnesota Super Lawyers list from 2003-2018.
- Named “Author of the Year” by the Minnesota Bar Publication, as well as recipient of the First Amendment Award by the Society of Professional Journalists, and the Distinguished Alumni Award by the University of Minnesota.
- Certified as a Senior Civil Trial Specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association based on his legal experience and achievements.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Served as a law clerk for the Honorable Judge Earl R. Larson, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota (1973-74).
- Spent more than 30 years as Senior Partner of the law firm of Mansfield, Tanick & Cohen, P.A., and its predecessor.
- Contributing columnist for Minnesota Lawyer magazine, Bench & Bar magazine, the StarTribune newspaper, and has published many articles in newspapers, magazines, and books on business, financial, and legal topics.
- Has taught at the University of Minnesota Law School, Hamline University Law School, St. Thomas University Law School and William Mitchell Law School.
- Authors a weekly column in Minnesota Lawyer magazine and a monthly column in Bench & Bar magazine.
- Frequent lecturer at Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs.
- Chair of the Golden Valley Civil Service Commission and the Golden Valley Connections Project.
- Member of the Hennepin County Bar Association, the Minnesota State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Financial Planning Association, the International Association for Financial Planning and the Financial Planning Association (Counsel).